At this half way point in the National Radon Control Strategy (NRCS) work has commenced on 23 of the 30 identified action points. Of these 23 actions, 5 are complete with a further 8 on track for completion in Year 3 (April 2016 to April 2017).
Key achievements of the NRCS to date include:
- Approval of financial assistance for radon testing and remediation;
- Development of training courses in radon remediation methods;
- Agreement between the Law Society of Ireland , the Society of Chartered Surveyors of Ireland and the former Department of Environment, Community and Local Government to include questions regarding radon in the conveyancing process;
- Completion of the dedicated radon website www.epa/radon.ie;
- Development of a national communications strategy;
- Research showing that implementation of the Building Regulations since 1998 has resulted in a 13% reduction in the average level of exposure to the Irish population.