Dublin, 29th January
Minister for Communications Pat Rabbitte has
announced the appointment of Mr Séamus Martin to the Broadcasting Authority of
Ireland (BAI) on an interim basis, following the recent resignation of Mr John
Established by the Broadcasting Act 2009 to
regulate content across the broadcasting sector, the BAI has a range of general
and specific objectives, which aim to ensure Irish audiences can enjoy high
quality and innovative indigenous broadcasting content.
Commenting on the appointment, Minister Rabbitte
stated that the Government is delighted to be able to appoint a candidate of the
calibre of Mr Martin, who will bring a wealth of journalistic experience and
expertise to the role.
The Minister also expressed his
sincere thanks to Mr Waters for his valuable contribution, having first joined
the Board of the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland in 2003, in addition to
having served on the Authority since its inception.
Note to Editors:
Séamus Martin - Biographical Details:
- Sports Reporter Irish Press Group
- Sports Independent Newspapers 1967-1980
- Sports Editor Sunday Tribune 1980-1982
- Irish Times 1983-2002 (Features Editor,
Columnist, Editor of the Irish Times Electronic Publications, Moscow
Correspondent, South Africa Correspondent and International
- Winner of Gold Award 2012 at New York Festivals
World Best Radio Programmes for ‘Death of an Empire’ five part series on Russia.
- Consultant and researcher for various radio and
Trade Union Involvement
- FOC NUJ Irish Times
- Cathaoirleach NUJ Irish Council
- Member NUJ National Executive (London)