Dublin, 1 May 2015
Minister for Communications, Alex White T.D., today launched a public consultation concerning the possible designation of additional events as events of major importance to society. Designation would ensure that they remain available on a free-to-air basis for Irish television viewers.
The Broadcasting Act 2009 provides that the Minister may designate certain sporting and cultural events of major importance to society in order to make them freely available on national television (e.g. TV3, TG4, RTE, UTV).
The Minister today placed advertisements in the national press seeking submissions from interested parties on the current list and the possible designation of three additional events :
· Ireland's games in the Six Nations Rugby Football Championship (currently "free to air" on a deferred basis);
· the All Ireland Senior Ladies Football Final; and
· the All Ireland Senior Camogie Final
Further information was also placed on the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources website: http://dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/broadcasting-media/regulation/Pages/Designation-of-Major-Events.aspx
Notes to Editors:
The closing date for receipt of submissions is Friday 12th June 2015. Submissions may be provided by the following means:
· In electronic format to firstname.lastname@example.org
· In hard copy to Major Events Coverage, Broadcasting Policy Division, Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources, 29-31 Adelaide Road, Dublin 2.
It should be noted that, while the Department proposes to publish all material submitted on the Department's website, respondents have been asked to clearly identify material that they consider is confidential and which may not be published. The provisions of the Freedom of Information Act 2014 shall apply.
An initial public consultation was held in June 2014 and submissions from members of the public and interested parties on the current list of events were received. These submissions can be viewed at the following link - http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/consultations/pages/Review-of-Designation-of-Major-Events-.aspx
The events currently listed are:
Events Available on a Live Basis
· The Summer Olympics
· The All-Ireland Senior Inter-County Football and Hurling Finals
· Ireland's home and away qualifying games in the European Football Championship and the FIFA World Cup Tournament
· Ireland's games in the European Football Championship Finals Tournament and the FIFA World Cup Tournament
· The opening games, the semi-finals and final of the European Football Championship Finals and the FIFA World Cup Finals Tournament
· Ireland's games in the Rugby World Cup Finals Tournament
· The Irish Grand National and Irish Derby
· The Nations Cup at the Dublin Horse Show
Events Available on a Deferred Basis
· Ireland's games in the Six Nations Rugby Football Championship