Annual Reviews of Funding
Each year, the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) must carry out a review of both RTÉ and TG4 which examines:
- the extent to which RTÉ and TG4 have met the commitments set out in their Annual Statement of Performance Commitments.
- the adequacy, or otherwise, of public funding.
The BAI submits a report to the Minister and makes a recommendation in relation to:
- the television licence fee and
- the funding of TG4.
The Minister's response, together with the report and recommendations of the BAI, is laid before the Houses of the Oireachtas.
Five Yearly Reviews of Funding
The BAI must also carry out a detailed review of the public funding of RTÉ and TG4 every five years. The review considers a broad range of areas, including:
- costed strategic plans
- the commercial funding available and
- developments in broadcasting internationally.
The BAI makes a recommendation ‘as to the requisite level of public funding required to permit the corporation to fulfil its public service objects’. It makes its recommendations and report to the Minister.
The Minister then submits both documents to Government, which then publishes a response to the recommendations.
The first of the 5 Year Reviews was conducted in 2013 and the second in 2018. The 2013 and 2018 Reviews themselves, the BAI recommendations and copies of the Government responses are available below.