The Terms of Reference of the NACOS are as follows:
- Provide advice to Government on Online Safety policy issues;
- Identify emerging issues where Government intervention may be warranted, including in future iterations of the Government's Action Plan;
- Input to the development of clear and easy to understand Online Safety guidance materials for all internet users, including targeted material for children and young people, persons with learning disabilities, parents, and older people;
- To act as the national stakeholder forum for the purposes of EU funded programmes;
- Review national and international research and disseminate key findings to Government, stakeholders, and the wider public;
- Provide an annual report for Government to coincide with Safer Internet Day.