NBP Latest News
Government Signs Contract for National Broadband Plan
On 19 November 2019 Government signed the contract for the National Broadband Plan
More information can be found on our announcement page and in the press release here.
On 15 November 2019 the European Commission announced their decision to to grant state aid approval to the National Broadband Plan.
More information can be found in Minister Bruton's Statement here,
Progress to date
In 2012, 30% of Irish premises had access to high speed broadband. Today, this is 77% (over 1.8m of all premises).
Q3 2019 Map Update
The High Speed Broadband Map has been updated by the Department.
This latest update shows progress in the deployment of high speed broadband in the BLUE areas on the Map up until the end of June 2019, including those premises passed under the eir Commitment Agreement. This update of the map also reflects the outcome of the mapping consultation.
eir Commitment Agreement – Progress Update Q3 2019
Progress in this rollout for Quarter 3 2019 has been verified by the Department.
- In the period from 1 July 2019 to end of September 2019, 7,084 premises were passed by eir and are now marked with a Blue dot in the Light Blue area of the Map.
- A total of 329,679 premises have been passed since eir commenced work in late 2016. This includes the additional approximately 40,000 brought into the commitment agreement area as a result of the mapping consultation.
- Follow the progress of the rural deployment covered by the Commitment Agreement.
- This is a wholesale network only. eir sells access to the network to retail service providers on an open access basis who in turn re-sell to the general public.
- If your premises has been passed by eir, and you want to connect to a high speed broadband service, you will need to contact a Retail Service Provider. Details of who you can contact can be found on the eir website www.fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy
19 November 2019