The Department of Communications, Climate Action and Environment sponsors the 'Climate Action and Clean Air' special award in the annual Tidy Towns competition. This award aims to recognise the positive contributions that local communities can make in raising awareness and taking positive actions in addressing climate change and improving air quality.
Climate change and air quality are key issues for all of us. We must ensure that what we do today does not compromise our environment, but instead enhances it and makes it a place where all generations, current and future, can live sustainable and healthy lives.
Each committee should highlight one key awareness initiative in their community which makes a lasting and positive contribution to the climate change and air quality challenges. Marks will also be awarded for:
- Community involvement
- Continued action and lasting effects
- Replicability in other similar communities
There are four prizes on offer, making a total prize fund of €6,000. They are:
- €2,250 for the best entry from a village or small town (Category A, B, C or D of the main Tidy Towns competition)
- €2,250 for the best entry from a large town or urban centre (Category E, F, G or H of the main Tidy Tows competition)
- €1,000 overall runner-up prize (open to entries from all categories)
- €500 special Youth Award for best project with a significant youth involvement (e.g. project carried out in association with a school, youth club, sports club, or similar)